What is Product Design?
Product design is the process of creating or improving a product by understanding what customers need. It is the conceptualization of an idea about a product and transforming the idea into reality. To transform the idea into reality a specification is prepared about the product considering different constraints such as manufacturing process, customer anticipation, needs, wants etc. During product design every aspects of the product are analysed which leads to take final decision regarding the product. This decision can be any aspect related to the product, e.g. measurement, type of material etc.
Characteristics of Product Design
Good Product design
- Makes product usable.
- Will be innovative.
- Will makes product understandable.
- Will lasts longer.
- Will be simple.
- Will be based on research, and takes into consideration of every single product detail.
- Will ensure growth the organization
- Will try to utilize the capacity of the organization, such as physical facility, man power, etc.
- Will meet new requirement of the customers to increase company’s market share
- Will target new market segment to ensure complete product range in enterprise’s portfolio
Benefits of Product Design
- It lower costs by streamlining the components, manufacturing processes and by improving the material choices.
- It will give you the visual appearance of your product so we can modernize its design by adapting latest market trends.
- Product design improves performance by making the product easier to use, smaller, faster, stronger, or better.
- Improve durability by analysing the weak points that are the source of breakage.
- Introduce new features and we ask the question ‘what if?’ will delight your customers.
- It reduces packaging, alter materials, and advance manufacturing process to decrease the environmental effect of your product.
- Adapt product to meet changes in legal, design & safety standards, and compliance requirements.
- 3D drawings and photo realistic renders can be used as sales tools, or as part of product information kits. Help you better picture your product before manufacturing.
- Technical drawings and CAD files are required for prototyping and manufacturing, and when required, for the use of patent applications.
Product Design Challenges
- We expect immediate answers, and likewise design solutions.
- Anticipate technological change, adapt to it, master it, excel and then be open to new influences, all in a very short time.
- Budget, Global competition, Time, Market potential, and Distribution
- Resistance to Change
- It must be desirable, i.e. a person wants to use it
- It must have a useful purpose, i.e. a person will use it
- It must provide customer satisfaction, i.e. a person is happy using it.
Role of Product Design Softwares
- The experience and interface of products
- A high degree of technical knowledge balanced with creative ability and a hands-on approach
- Visual and spatial awareness
- Commercial awareness
- Three-dimensional conceptual ability and CAD (computer-aided design)
- Knowledge of industrial processes/techniques and standards
Ways to Improve Product Design in Companies
- Reverse engineering is beneficial to understand the flaws in the design based on past experiences.
- Simulation Driven Design has to be an integral part of the product design to ensure that the final design comprises minimum failure risks.
- Rapid prototyping gives a clear picture about the look and feel of the conceptualized product design.
- Integrating value engineering in the product design cycle helps in reducing the production costs to a great extent.
Role of NPDP Training and Certification
- Confirms mastery of NPD principles and best practices
- Enables better job performance
- Enhances career/promotion opportunities
- Recognizes growth, professional development and competence in NPD
- Increases recognition by peers, employers, and recruiters
- Sets you apart as an expert and leader in your field
- Is unique: ours is the only certification program for the NPD Professional
- Identifies those who have sufficient product development knowledge and experience to move into a leadership position.
- Differentiates between hiring candidates. Beyond considering an individual's experience, you can assess their product development knowledge as well as their interest in professional growth and development.
- Supports an organizations drive for process consistency and discipline in new product development. It offers the right "big picture," baseline and areas of focus.
- Top-performing companies understand that properly training employees leads to direct, measurable bottom-line benefits. Several leading companies are already sponsoring NPDP Certification across their corporations.